NEXT BUILD: Thursday, April 23, 2013 (unconfirmed) BUT New cars and bug fixes expected prior to the next build date.
2013 Season 2 Build Quicklist: This list is compiled solely of posts by iRacing staff members throughout the iRacing Forums, official blog posts, twitter posts, and the iRacing Facebook page.
• New Car Sounds: Steve Myers wrote the new sounds will be coming to more cars. “We hope to have the INDYCAR, Lotus 49, Lotus 79, Vette, Cadillac, Impala’s and hopefully more coming next. It’s a completely new process to collect these samples so unfortunately we just can’t waive a magic wand to do it for all the cars.” Forum Post | New Build Updates Page 1/28
UPDATE: iRacing is doing their best to launch the Gen6 Cup cars with these new sounds and the Cadillac and Corvette will have them in the next seasons build as of now. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
UPDATE 2: iRacing released a new video showcasing new sounds for the Lotus 49, Lotus 79, Chevy Corvette GT1, Cadillac CTS-V, NASCAR K&N National Impala, NASCAR Chevy Silverado, NASCAR 2012 Nationwide Impala. See the Video 2/7
• Team Racing UPDATE Crew Chief: Unfortunately not much coming in this end of January build in regard to Teams. We are able to take out the 1 or 2 second lag for spotters so now, no lag between spotter and driver is spotting for a driver, real-time in other words. Also did some other spotter cleanup. Right now still working on crew chief portion but will not be in build but guessing/hoping will be in April build. That should be the next piece. Right now we can actually swap drivers and have that working but so much else to deal with like how it all works in the pits, race control, how to handle the data, the webside and reporting aspects, creating the teams, team web pages and rules engineered around that, official versus hosted, and on and on so still a ways to go. Those things all in different stages but hopeful the whole team project is completed this year but again will be in stages. Tony Gardner’s Forum Post 1/16
UPDATE: iRacing has confirmed that they do have the capabilities of making in-race adjustments on one iRacing account and machine and it changes on a second iRacing account and machine. This is a significant step forward on this project, and although there is still quite a bit of work to be done both in-sim and on the website, iRacing is cautiously optimistic that it will be in the next build (April). Once the crew chief potion of team racing is finished, actual driver changes are not far off. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Lotus 49: The Lotus 49 was expected to be released in the last TWO builds, but was not. Tony Gardner posted in the forum that a flaw somewhere in the physics that cannot be figured out and just an overall unhappy driving experience. It is likely we will see it released before the 2013-Season 2 Build.
UPDATE: One of the most asked questions among the iRacing community is when the Lotus 49 will be completed. The good news is that it’s done.. except that it needs the NTMv5 which isn’t done yet. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Kia Optima SX: The Kia Optima SX race car is very likely to be in the April build. Steve Myers wrote that he was not super enthusiastic when the Kia deal came together until he drove the car. The Kia deal came together much like the Cadillac deal last year where Cadillac came to iRacing to build the virtual version of the CTS-V. Part of the deal gave all iRacing members the Cadillac free as apart of the base package. No word yet if the Kia will work the same way. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Paint Kit: iRacing is also working to evolve the paint kit, both in terms of its design and layout as well as the introduction of new features such as a new color picker directly from this page. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Updated Tracks: Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca and USA International Speedway should receive a ‘fresh coat of paint’ in the April build to bring them closer to iRacing’s current standard of new tracks. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• New Shadow Maps: iRacing almost had the new shadow map work down for the last build (January) so it is almost certain that it will be done for the next build. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• NTMv5: iRacing continues to work to advance the ‘New Tire Model’. Dave is making great progress on the tire model and feels that he is getting closer to getting NTMv5 released. He made a significant advance in the last build (January) which really is NTMv4.5. We are hoping the remaining 0.5 is in the next build (April). Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Kansas Speedway: Steve Myers wrote that at this point it is likely that Kansas will be the next “new” track completed but probably not for the next 13th week deployment. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• New UI Interface: iRacing is taking a fresh new look at what they can do not only with the in-game interface but also with the loading screen and post-race. This is a significant project requiring work from both the sim and web engineering teams, so a release schedule for this is still hard to predict. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Time Trials: iRacing is starting work on adding the ability to integrate a ghost car into the session that will allow you to select the best lap of the session, your best lap ever or even a loaded lap from someone else. iRacing also has a lot exciting longer term ideas as well. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Race Sessions: One exciting project iRacing is working on right now is a re-design of how you view and join race sessions. Imagine your TV guide view of nightly television and you get the general idea of where we are going with this. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Driver Names on Windshield: iRacing had confirmed that they are working on getting driver names on the top of the windshields of the new G6 Chevy SS and Ford Fusion like their real world counter parts. iRacing said they may not be able to get it completed at the time the new cars are released and would need to go out in the next 13th week build. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
NOT IN THIS BUILD
• NASCAR G6 Toyota: Steve Myers has confirmed that iRacing has been trying to get the Toyota signed and hopes to accomplish that “soon” as talks have been going on since last summer. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Ruf Rt 12 R: iRacing has confirmed that this is the next car in the development pipeline. This car is not anticipated to be in the April build. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Montreal and Bathurst: iRacing continues to work on both Montreal and Bathurst while Kansas Speedway is in progress. No word yet when we can expect either of these tracks. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
• Dynamic Skies: iRacing is in the process of changing the way that shadows are cast from trees. This project is pretty much the first required step to be able to get dynamic skies into the sim. No word yet on a timeline for the new shadows or dynamic skies. Cat Herder XVII 2/7
Most Asked For Content/Features: none of these things are “coming soon”, they are frequently asked for and iRacing has acknowledged they do plan to work on these things in the future.
- Dynamic Track Surface: Planned for the future
- Weather System: No immediate plans, but eventually
- Day/Night Transitions: No immediate plans, but eventually
- Damage Model Update: Small updates each build, expect a major overhaul eventually
- Actual Pit Crews: Expected in 2013
Total Views: 11933